Thu, Mar 22nd, 2012 by Audrey Johnson
Ever look at the ingredients that make up your beauty products? The list is made up of scientific terms whose uses are unknown to the typical consumer. (Words like dimethicone and methylchloroisothiazolinone are downright scary!) It’s difficult to know which ingredients are toxic and which ones are safe. So, to get healthy, natural skin, why not use healthy, natural remedies? Everything you need to get beach ready skin can be found at your local grocery and health foods store. Spring clean your beauty routine with these 5 do-it-yourself recipes from SpaMagazine.com.
1. Firming Coffee Body Scrub: This coffee based recipe has firming and antioxidant qualities sure to help you tighten your assets.
1½ cups cane sugar
¼ cup ground coffee beans
¼ cup shredded coconut
¾ cup macadamia nut oil or olive oil
1 tsp. honey
3-5 drops essential oil of choice
1. Mix sugar, ground coffee beans, coconut, and oil in a bowl until fully combined. Add honey followed by the essential oil.
2. Transfer the mixture to a plastic container with a lid. (The scrub will keep for 1 to 2 weeks sealed at room temperature.)
3. Rub a generous scoop of the scrub over your arms, legs, stomach, chest, and bottom, scrubbing medium to hard depending on your sensitivity. (Skin should be moist when applying the scrub.)
4. Rinse off in the shower under warm to hot water, ensuring the sugar crystals disintegrate completely. Pat dry to allow the oils to soak into your soft, glowing skin.
Note: Those with very sensitive skin may wish to use pure cane sugar because it is less abrasive than raw.
2. Cooling Summer Skin Saver: Aloe and Vitamin E help skin recover from harmful rays after a day in the sun.
1 cup Aloe Vera gel
8 drops lemon essential oil
20 drops Vitamin E
Combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Apply mixture to skin and let sink in.
3. Blueberry and Brown Sugar Body Scrub: Make like a snake and shed your winter skin with the help of this antioxidant rich exfoliant.
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. pureed blueberries
3 tbsp. lemon juice
Combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Apply the mixture during a warm shower, using circular movements and gentle pressure. Pay close attention to elbows, knees, heels, and other rough areas. Rinse and pat dry.
4. Green Tea and Oatmeal Bath: Restore and moisturize your skin in a calming ginger-infused bath.
2 tablespoons of green tea leaves (or the contents of 2 tea bags)
3 tablespoons of organic oatmeal
1 tablespoon of fresh, grated ginger
Combine green tea and oatmeal with a mortar and pestle, in a food processor, or by rubbing vigorously between hands. Mix in ginger and place the blend in a mesh or fabric bag.
Fill bathtub ¼ full with hot water, add the bag, steep 5 to 10 minutes. Then fill remainder of tub with cool water.
Allow the tea to gently infuse your bath and moisturize your skin while you relax.
5. Homemade Mask for Problem Skin: Just two ingredients in this simple homemade mask tighten and brighten facial skin.
Puree ingredients in a blender until smooth, apply mixture to face, and leave on for 20 minutes.
Audrey Johnson is a freelance writer living in Destin, FL. In 2005, she earned a Bachelor of Science in Sociology and has remained interested in the various ways that groups of people interact. As the contributor for VIE’s “Living Green” column, she’ll be helping VIE readers explore the limitless options of green lifstyles.
Make A Comment